Talking about the PDF there is no doubt that Adobe Reader is the most popular PDF viewer available in the market and for a good reason because it is developed by the makers of the PDF format itself that is Adobe. But from the version 6.0 of Adobe Reader to the latest version 8.0 we can see the trend that the installer size and the installation size of this popular application is getting fatter and bloated. There are a lot of plugins, update modules and other features installed by the application that are not needed by the average user who is only interested to use this application for his PDF viewing needs. Due to these reasons, I have already shifted to the excellent PDF-XChange viewer that has far more functionality and is faster than this at the same time. But I you still want to use the Adobe Reader due to some reason there is a Lite version of this application created by the same person that brought us the Skype Lite and Nero 8.0 Lite.
Adobe Reader 8.11 Lite comes in a much smaller installer size (15.8 MB) as compared the regular version released by Adobe (22.4 MB). There are a number of things removed from the installer to cut the bloat. These are mentioned below:
- Autorun and desktop shortcuts are removed .
- Startmenu shortcut converted to non-advertised.
- Several features and plugins that the average user has no need for are removed.
- Beyond Adobe and Lic. Agreement popups are removed .
- Auto Update features is also removed.
- But unfortunately the creator of this lite version of the Adobe Reader has not mentioned exactly which plugins he has removed as this information could be useful. However in my testing I did not find any issue with any of the PDF files that I viewed with it. Installation size was also significantly smaller and application was loading pretty fast. However it was not as fast in rendering PDF documents as Foxit Reader or PDF-XChange viewer in my testing. But still with the presence of Adobe Reader in your arsenal you are at least theoretically ensured of the maximum compatibility with any PDf file. You can download the Adobe Reader Lite from here.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.