Skype is one of the most used software these days for making free calls to the other users through the Internet. One of the primary reasons for its success is its simplicity and to the point interface for the basic operation. Also, I think starting from the Skype version 4.0 onwards they have improved the video calling (or video conferencing) feature considerably including the quality of the video calls and HD quality video calls on supported hardware/software. One of the limitations of the Skype is that despite its pretty good quality for making audio/video calls there has never been any recording feature that could allow to save an important conversion for the future if desired by the user. Forget about the video you can’t even record audio calls!
To overcome this situation some third-party free tools are available for quite some time now that allows to record audio calls in some format such as MP3 or WMA. Some of these tools are even available for free. However, if a user wants to record both audio and video at the same time then the options are rather limited as almost all the tools that allows to record Skype video conversations are shareware with severe limitations in their respective free versions. However, I found a tool called VodBurner that allows to record both audio and video conversations in Skype without any major limitations. It does add a watermark to the recorded video in the free version (which is not added if both parties have installed VodBurner) but I think it is not a big deal. Also there are some other minor limitations in the free version but they don’t seem be significant.
Once installed VodBurner allows to automatically record conversions as soon as it detect a call through Skype. So, not much user interaction is required after its is setup properly on the Windows system. At any time current recording can be stopped or discarded as well if desired. Quality of the recordings can be setup in the settings as well as the folder to where to save the recordings. VodBurner allows to record both sides of the video call. Created recordings can be edited with a simple built-in editor such as adding captions, trimming video and optionally upload to the YouTube or some other video sharing site.
A more detailed feature set as mentioned by the developer is as follows:
- A Skype video recorder which creates complete video productions directly from Skype calls.
- Record both sides of any Skype video conversation, directly to your hard disk.
- Captures at full frame rate and maximum resolution for the best quality possible.
- Once the call is complete, generate a single complete video, incorporating both sides of the call, with just a couple of clicks.
- Edit the video prior to publishing, using the built in Post-Production Console.
- Alter which camera is used at any point (this side, other side or both sides).
- Trim portions of the call so they do not appear in the final production.
- Add text captions to the final production, with the ability to alter font, color and background.
- Add pictures to the final production.
- Add background audio to the final production, with professional fading options and volume control.
- Generate ASF/WMV files suitable for uploading directly to YouTube and other services.
- Upload directly to YouTube for public or private sharing.
- Generate video with your choice of aspect ratio and resolution.
- Anti-drift technology keeps both sides of the call in sync.
- Ideal for podcast interview recording.
- Ideal for recording shared desktop sessions.
VodBurner can be downloaded from here.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.