Chronic Dev team has just pushed out latest version of the Greenpois0n exploit, RC5_b4 for Windows and MAC. It has enabled users to jailbreak the just released Verizon’s version of iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.6. You can also use it to jailbreak other iOS devices running 4.2.1 as well. Here we have a a brief tutorial on how to accomplish that using either Windows or a Mac running OSX.
Before we begin, few Important points first which should be read carefully:
– Even though the whole process is relatively safe, it is still risky if you don’t know what you are doing. We strongly recommend reading through the whole guide first. Also unexpected errors can still happen and you may lose your phone warranty as well. So proceed at your own risk !!
– Make sure that iTunes software on your computer is upgraded to the latest version
– In case you used iPhone Dev Team’s Monte to jailbreak the iPhone, a fresh restore to iOS 4.2.1 is needed
– In case you are on lower version of iOS, it will need to be upgraded to 4.2.1 first. If you want to preserve the baseband for SIM unlock, use TinyUmbrella to do that. Here is a tutorial on how to do that. Further detailed instructions can also be found at TinyUmbrella’s official blog. (this process works only for iPhone 4)
– This is an untethered jail break, so even if you shut off your phone or restart it, there is no need to re-root !!
Alright, now these points are clear, lets go ahead with the actual jailbreak process.
Step-By-Step Guide on how to jailbreak your Verizon iPhone 4.2.6 or other iOS devices on 4.2.1 using Greenpois0n:
Here are the download links for the Greenpois0n RC5. Download the relevant version. You can also download the latest version from the official website at http://greenpois0n.com/.
Turn off the iPhone and connect it to the computer via the USB cable. In case iTunes automatically pops up, close it down.
Run the Greenpois0n application that you downloaded in first step.
When you are ready click on the “Prepare to jailbreak (DFU) button”
Note that once you click on that button, you will be required to do the following three tasks after 3 seconds
a. Press and hold the sleep button for 2 seconds
b. After 2 seconds continue to hold sleep but press and hold home button as well for 10 more seconds
c. Release sleep button but keep on holding home for 15 more seconds.
After this greenpois0n will start to jailbreak your iPhone. Just wait during this process. It will first install the jailbreak software and then automatically restart the phone.
Congratulations!! You are almost done. Just run the Loader app on home screen to install Cydia. In case, Cydia does not show up after running Loader, just restart your device.
Here is an excerpt from the official release log from Greenpois0n for this RC5:
*** greenpois0n 1.0 RC5 ***
> Description of the software:
greenpois0n will Jailbreak your iDevice.
> Supported iDevices:
– iPod Touch 2G (all bootroms)
– iPod Touch 3G
– iPod Touch 4G
– iPad 1G
– iPhone 3Gs (all bootroms)
– iPhone 4
– iPhone 4 Verizon
– RC5.4: Verizon iPhone 4 is now supported !
> Requirements (check this !)
– a supported device (see above)
– the device should run iOS 4.2.1. Please check on the device in the Settings -> General -> About page.
If your device is running an older version, please upgrade iOS first using iTunes.
*** If you want to SIM Unlock, preserve your baseband using TinyUmbrella ***
– at least Windows XP
– a working internet connection
> Notes (checks this also !)
– if your device is jailbroken with iPhone Dev Team’s Monte, please restore to fresh 4.2.1. first
– if Cydia doesn’t show up after Loader, you may need to reboot the device
– this version of greenpois0n doesn’t include a patched activation system. You’ll need to activate your device using iTunes
– WE DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY !
1. plug the device to your computer using the USB cable
2. quit iTunes if it shows up
3. start greenpois0n.app
4. follow instructions
5. the device will boot a 1st time with verbose text on screen. This operation will install the jailbreak on the device.
6. the device will reboot normally
7. start the Loader application (green icon on the SpringBoard), and follow instructions to install Cydia
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.