Here is a nifty accessory, which converts your iPhone into a full blown handheld console. It is called iControlPad and features controls like a regular gamepad including d-pad, analogue pad and front/rear buttons.
Based on the email address provided on site, it appears that it is developed by the same guys behind the GP2X console. It will be interesting to see how this device shapes the mobile gaming scene, since Apple iOS devices have come a long way in terms of quality and already poses a real competition to the likes of PSP and DS.
The good news for gamers is that it will also have a built in 1500 mAH battery which can charge your phone through the USB port simultaneously. The device is also compatible with Android devices as well and uses Bluetooth for connection. It initially used a dock connecter but Apple had the design patented. Hence, developers had to scrap the first 3000 units and start afresh with the Bluetooth design.
There is a base unit with flexible side arms which can be changed and fit to adjust to different devices. So far the lists of supported devices includes: iPhone, iPod touch (some require padding), Motorola Backflip (needs padding), LG Optimus S, LG Ally, Blackberry Touch, Samsung Intercept (may require adjustment), HTC Dream, T-Mobile G1, Era G1.
Here is a list of features on the official site:
- Supports any phone/console/computer with Bluetooth
- Digital D-Pad, 2 Analogue nubs, 6 face buttons and 2 rear buttons
- Clever side clamp system allowing it to attach to almost any phone
- Multiple BT protocols supported
- Should ‘just work’ on any Android app which supports a PC gamepad
- iPhone users should have jailbreak but does work on unbroken iPhone in keyboard mode
- Internal 1500maH battery can also charge your phone via USB when playing
- Upgradeable firmware, new features can be added, restrictions can be bypassed
Shipments will start on 16th Feb. Initial batch comprises of only 1000 units. But probably the biggest con of iControlPad is the hefty price tag of $75. But we will see if its list of advanced features justifies that.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.