iOS 4.3 will carry a lot of new features including AirPlay, Side Switch Toggle, New, iTunes Home Sharing, Cancel Application Installation in progress, Customize Alerts for Messages, Wait Button, Push Notification, Parental Controls and many more. Final build of iOS 4.3 will be released on March 11th but for now you can enjoy iOS 4.3GM on your 3GS iPhone. However every time you will start your iPhone you will need to reboot it into jailbreak mode using tethered boot utility (re-jailbreak it every time you restart your phone) because custom iOS 4.3 GM is available tethered mode only. You can jailbreak iOS 4.3 GM yourself using Pwnage Tool (version 4.2), Tethered Boot Utility and Universal Ramdisk Fixer. Follow the following instructions.
- Custom Bundle for iPhone 3GS (http://www.iphone-privacy.com/bundles/GM/new_bootrom_iPhone2,1_4.3_8F190.bundle.zip)
- PwnageTool 4.2 (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/3314130778/whats-in-a-name)
- Access to iOS 4.3 GM firmware
- iTunes 10.2 (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/)
- Mac OS X
- Universal Ramdisk Fixer (http://www.iphone-privacy.com/RamdiskFixer_v1.5.pkg)
- Tetheredboot utility (https://sites.google.com/site/0xjohnny/downloads/tetheredboot.zip)
- First step is to download Custom Bundle for iPhone 3GS and extract the content into a folder.
- Because this guide is geared towards iPhone 3GS we will be using iPhone 3GS bundle file named “iPhone2,1_4.3_8F190.bundle”. Copy this filet to your desktop.
- Next you need to download the PwnageTool 4.2.
- Copy PwnageTool 4.2 in Application folder. Right click on the PwnageTool icon and click on “show Package Contents”.
- Now you browse to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and paste the iPhone2,1_4.3_8F190.bundle file at this location which we copied on the desktop in step 2.
- Because of the lake of support in PwnageTool 4.2 to patch the iOS 4.3 GM we need to use Ramdisk Fixer to create custom ramdisk for iOS 4.3. You can download Universal Ramdisk Fixer using the above given links and install it.
- Next step is to build iOS 4.3 custom firmware for which you need to download iOS4.3 GM firmware.
- Place iOS 4.3 GM firmware on your desktop.
- Launch PwnageTool in “export mode” and select your device which in our case is iPhone 3GS.
- Locate iOS 4.3 GM which we copied on the desktop in step 8.
- After selecting iOS 4.3 GM click on “Build” button to produce jailbroken custom iOS 4.3 GM.ipsw.
- Once the custom firmware has been produced you need to go into DFU mode by clicking on DFU button on the Pwnage Tool after which you can close the Pwnage tool Application.
- Launch iTunes application and select iPhone iOS device from the sidebar.
- For Windows users press and hold left shift button and for Mac users press and hold “Alt” button on the key while clicking on “restore” button and select Custom iOS 4.3 GM.jpsw file which we created in step 11.
- Final step, just wait till iTunes finish installing custom firmware on your iPhone.
So far jailbroken iOS4.3 is available only in tethered mode and to that follow the following steps if you need to reboot the the device.
- You will need tetheredboot.zip utility which you can download using following link and Unzip the content of the file in folder named tetheredboot.
- Copy tetheredboot folder in downloads folder.
- Rename the custom iOS 4.3 GM.jpsw to custom iOS 4.3 GM.zip and extract the content into a folder.
- Find and copy kernelcache.release.n90 and iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu files which will be located at /Firmware/dfu/.
- Paste kernelcache.release.n90 and iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu into tetheredboot directory(created after extracting the content of tetheredboot.zip).
- Now turn off your iPhone and run terminal on OS X and type following commands
cd/Users/user/Downloads/Tetheredboot/ ./tetheredboot iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.n90Use At this point you will notice some processing in the terminal window and you will be asked to Enter into DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode on your iPhone. To do so hold home and power buttons together for 10 seconds after which release power button while keep holding home button for another 10 seconds after which you will enter DFU mode. After a while your device will boot tethered jailbroken iOS 4.3GM. Some processing will be done on iPhone and your iPhone will now be in a jailbroken state running iOS 4.3 GM.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.