Nook Color is one of the best e-reader available in market with 7” high resolution display and wifi. Now you can root your Nook Color and use it as a powerful android tablet. When rooted Nook Color is compared Samsung Galaxy Tab, Nook Color performance is better than Samsung. This guide will provide you with step by step instructions how to root all software versions or Nook color.
-Nook Color with USB cable
-Micro SD card at least 128MB
-USB SD card reader
-Auto Nooter by GabrialDestruir (there are three versions available. To find the right version of auto nooter compatible with your Nook Color you need to check the software version of you Nook. On your Nook Color navigate to Settings àDevice Info àAbout Your Nook Color. Find the software version of your Nook Color and download the compatible version.
For software version 1.0.0 download auto nooter 2.12.15
For software version 1.0.1 download auto nooter 2.12.25
For software version 1.1.0 download auto nooter 3.0.0
Now follow the instructions:
Step 1: Download Win 32 disk Imager and unzip its contents into a folder.
Step 2: Download the compatible version of auto nooter and unzip its contents (contains image file) preferably using winrar.
Step 3: Hook up USB card reader into computer and plug in Micro SD card into the reader.
Step 4: Run Win 32 Disk Imager and click on the folder button and locate the image file which you extracted in step 2.
Step 5: Choose the drive of your SD card (If you don’t know the drive letter of your SD card you can locate it in My Computer) and click on write button.
Step 6: Once progress is 100% complete, browse SD card and you should be able to see MLO file, u-boot.bin, uImage file and uRamdisk file. If you can’t find these file you need to format your card and repeat the steps 3 to 6.
Step 7: Now safely remove the SD card and insert it into Nook Color. Before placing the card into Nook Color make sure that it’s completely turned off and is not hooked up with computer.
Step 8: After inserting the SD card connect Nook Color to your computer using USB cable, this will turn on your Nook color even though screen will remain black. Now Nook Color is booting up using the SD card data. At this stage you might encounter windows error regarding device drivers but ignore those complaints and close them.
Step 9: (1) If you are using are using Auto-nooter for Nook Color 1.0.0 you need to wait for 5 minutes after connecting USB cable from Nook Color to your computer and windows shows your device. After 5 minutes first remove the USB cable from the computer and than remove the SD card. Now you need to boot the Nook color by holding the power button for 15 seconds after which Nook Color will boot into the boot animation and new boot process.
(2) If you are using auto nooter for Nook Color software version 1.0.1 it will automatically boot into the boot animation and new boot process once the process is finished.
(3) If you are using auto nooter for Nook Color software version 1.1 Nook Color will reboot automatically boot into the boot animation and new boot process but don’t sign in on the android welcome screen and enable location services upon during start up options. Launch youtube after connecting to your home wifi network, Login to your gmail account (if you used Gmail account during B&N registration, use the same account) through My Channel after clicking on menu button. Now exit youtube which you launched earlier through extras and run Gmail through extras. Exit gmail after synchronizing your account with android. Accept the terms and condition of Market. Finally your Nook Color is successfully rotted.
You are all done. Now you can go Android market and download your favorite applications. Don’t forget to try Android Honeycomb 3.0 on your Nook Color using SD card. Also remember rooting Nook will void your warranty and inspiredgeek will not be responsible for any damage.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.