These days all the buzz in the Android circles is about the latest and greatest Android 3.0 Honeycomb from Google – an OS made specifically customized for the tablets. Although, there is already a lot of talk of many of the nicer features and polish being tickled to the mobile phones Android OS, but for that we will have to wait. If you just can’t wait and want to install and test the Android 3.0 Honeycomb on your Android based HTC Desire, here is the guide to do so! It is actually based on a port of the Android 3.0 SDK from talented Xda developers that has come up with this.
Before we proceed any further I would like to mention that this is only for the hardcore Honeycomb fans that really want to have Honeycomb on their HTC Desire right now, as many of the hardware features are still not functioning. So here is the list of what is functioning and what is not FYI:
- Touchscreen – The touch input is responding.
- 3g or data connections are functional.
- SMS – Texts are sent and received.
- Browser crashes once you finish downloading data.
- The gallery crashes after you choose an item.
Don’t forget that you will need to have a rooted HTC Desire. Furthermore ClockworkMod Recovery. Also, download the Honeycomb SDK port for HTC Desire.
So now we start with the actual guide of installation.
Step 1: Copy the downloaded ROM to the root of your SD card.
Step 2: Reboot the phone into recovery mode.
Step 3: Perform a Nandroid backup.
Step 4: Wipe data & cache from the main recovery menu and Dalvik cache from the advanced menu.
Step 5: From the main recovery menu, install the ROM’s zip file from SD card.
Step 6: Reboot your device and Enjoy!
Here is a video of the Honeycomb running on HTC Desire:
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.