This guide will allow people that are on the baseband 05.14 or 05.15 or higher to move to the baseband 06.15 to provide the possibility of an unlock on their iPhone 3GS/3G. This is because currently baseband 05.14 or 05.15 cannot be unlocked. After following this guide you can easily unlock your iPhone 3GS/3G by using this step-by-step guide on how to unlock your iDevice using Ultrasn0w (please start to follow from step 3 as earlier step are not relevant for this guide).
Please make sure to read the following before you proceed further:
1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
4. There are reports that 06.15 may disable your GPS. The iPhone Dev-Team is currently working on a fix.
Please make sure that follow this guide to update to BB 06.15 only if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15. Further, make sure you’re willing to take the risks that are mentioned above.
Step 1: Create a new folder on your desktop called Pwnage and download RedSn0w from here and move it to the created Pwnage folder. Furthermore, download the appropriate stock 4.2.1 firmware from the download links below:
4.1.0 (3G): iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
4.2.1 (3G): iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
Step 2: Now extract the RedSn0w zip file into the same folder by using your favorite archiving utility.
Step 4: Now plugin your iPhone in PC and launch iTunes program. Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left. Now hold down Shift and click the Restore button. Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the 4.1 / 4.2.1 firmware ipsw. Click the Choose button to continue.
Step 5: Once iTunes finishes by updating iPhone to the desired firmware open the Pwnage folder and execute redsn0w application from there that was extracted earlier.
Step 6: Once RedSn0w appears click the Browse button.
Step 7: Select the 4.2.1 firmware ipsw we placed in the Pwnage folder on our desktop then click Open.
Step 8: Once the firmware has been verified click the Next button to continue.
Step 9: RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data
Step 10: From this window you can select the jailbreak options you would like.
- Make sure Cydia is selected.
- Notice that RedSn0w can Enable multitasking. If you do not need multitasking we would recommend deselecting it as it makes your iPhone 3G run very slow.
Don’t forget to check Install iPad Baseband to update your baseband to the 06.15 iPad version for unlock. Click Yes when prompted to confirm. Now click the Next button to continue
Step 11: Now plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure its OFF then click the Next button
Step 12: RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds. Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device.
Step 13: RedSn0w will now download the iPad baseband if needed and your iPhone will reboot
Step 14: RedSn0w will then begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel. Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button. When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the SpringBoard!
Enjoy! now you have a jailbroken iDevice on iOS 4.2.1 with the baseband upgraded to 16.5.00!,
Now you can continue this step-by-step guide on how to unlock your iDevice using Ultrasn0w (please start to follow from step 3 as earlier step are not relevant for this guide).
If you have problems with RedSn0w on Windows Vista or Windows 7. Right click the executable and set it to run as administrator in Windows XP compatibility mode.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.