As we know Mozilla had many troubles launching Firefox 4.0 on time and as consequence was delayed by many months. Finally, after many many months wait is over, and Firefox 4.0 is officially available for download. Actually, there are not any noticeable changes if you are using any of the last release code (RC) versions. But Mozilla plans to substantially accelerate the release cycle with the Firefox 5.0 and Firefox 6.0 as we reported earlier. Despite including many exciting features such as hardware acceleration for page rendering, much improved java scripting engine, improved GUI, App Tabs, data syncing support, HTML 5.0 support among many other things, there are indeed some controversial design changes as well that we highlighted some time ago when the browser was in betas stages (many of these changes still made their way to final version!). But overall Firefox 4.0 is an extremely impressive product despite the fact that now it has much harder competition to face from recently released Internet Explorer 9.0 and fast rising Google Chrome.
Early stats are showing very impressive number of downloads for the Firefox 4.0 as popular Mozilla browser has already surpassed the 3 Million downloads! If you like you can follow the global number of downloads of the Firefox 4.0 in real-time here!
Here is the list of new features in detail in case you want to dig deeper!
Fastest Firefox Ever
- Performance: Firefox is up to six times faster than the previous release. With improved start-up and page load times, speedy Web app performance and hardware accelerated graphics, Firefox is optimized for rich, interactive websites.
- App Tabs: give a permanent home to frequently visited sites like Web mail, Twitter, Pandora, Flickr.
- Switch to Tab: easily find and switch to any open tab from your Awesome Bar without opening duplicate tabs.
- Panorama: drag and drop tabs into manageable groups to save time while navigating many open tabs.
Private and Secure Synchronization
- Firefox Sync: access your Awesome Bar history, bookmarks, open tabs, passwords and form data across multiple computers and mobile devices.
- New Add-ons Manager: easily discover and install more than 200,000 add-ons to customize the features, functionality and look of Firefox.
Private and Secure
- Do Not Track: Firefox is leading the Web towards a universal standard Do Not Track feature that allows users to opt-out of tracking used for behavioral advertising.
- Firefox puts privacy first, fixing flaws in some Web standards to prevent others from accessing your browser history.
- HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS): automatically establishes secure connections to stop “man in the middle” attacks and keep sensitive data safe from interception during the log-in process.
- Content Security Policy (CSP): prevent cross-scripting attacks by allowing sites to explicitly tell the browser which content is legitimate.
Cutting Edge Tools for Web Developers:
- HTML5 support in Firefox includes hardware accelerated, high-definition video (WebM), 3D graphics, offline data storage, professional typography, touchscreen interfaces and the Mozilla Audio API to help create visual experiences for sound and more.
- Firefox 4 also improves existing tools like CSS, Canvas and SVG to enable developers to make exciting Web pages.
- Firefox provides uninterrupted browsing when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple QuickTime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins. If one of these plugins crashes or freezes, it won’t affect the rest of Firefox. Simply reload the page to restart the plugin.
You can download the Mozilla Firefox 4.0 here.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.