Building panorama images by taking snapshots of a place by rotating/moving your camera and stitching them together is not a new concept in general. As we have already seen applications for Windows that can build panoramas based on a set of input images. More recently after the world dominance by iPhone, we have seen a number of applications that are available in the App Store that allows to achieve the same effect. However, in my experience most of these applications available in the App Store are either very complicated for the casual user or not very effective at creating the panoramas. And not to mention their high price!
But now price sensitive users don’t need to worry as Microsoft has released a free application called Photosynth for the iPhone that allows to build the panoramas by capturing snapshots from your iPhone with ease. Although it is available for free but don’t let the price disguise you as this is one of the best panorama applications that we have seen for the iDevices. One nice features about this application is that it allows to capture images not just along horizontal lines but in all directions such as left, right,top and bottom. Another plus point is that application actually guides you in the process that at which position the next image should be captured to get the best results. After capturing images stitching process is fast, and afterwards you creation is stored locally as well as you can share your creation on the Facebook or Bing Maps.
Here are some other features as mentioned by the developers:
• See your panorama take shape as you capture them with INTERACTIVE CAPTURE
• Look and capture in all directions with FULL-SPHERE PANORAMAS
• See the final panorama right away with fast ON-DEVICE PROCESSING
• Sharp, high-resolution results with the ADVANCED IMAGE STITCHING ENGINE
• Panoramas are always available to view and share from the ON-DEVICE LIBRARY
• Zoom, pan, stretch, and view in landscape or portrait with our IMMERSIVE VIEWER
• Save as many panoramas as you want and view them online at PHOTOSYNTH.NET
You can get the Photosynth for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G from here.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.