Samsung Galaxy S 4G is a fantastic Android based smartphone released in February this year. Powerful specs include a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor, and video is based on the PowerVR SGX540 GPU. It includes a 5MP rear-facing camera capable of recording video at 730p at 30FPS. As for the display it supports a fantastic 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen. It has received generally many positive reviews from the experts. Now a developer at the XDA developer forums has come up with a method to SIM unlock the device, so that you can use it with essentially any carrier of your liking. It requires the use of rooted device as might expect. But that is not difficult to achieved by using the SuperOneClick tool that we reviewed earlier.
After rooting the device you can follow the method as provided by the sanfranx415 on XDA developer forums.
1. Install "010 Hex editor" you can use trial does not have to be registered
2. Go to your SGS 4G and open a terminal emulator (free on the Market) – (Root Required)
The following steps are credit to SS2006 on a different post
*** Dont forget the (su) command *** after the second line
after opening a terminal emulator type the following
cd /dev/block <enter>
su <enter> <at this point your phone will ask for superuser access ALLOW it if you already havent done so>
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/bml3.bak <enter>
Go find the file on your SD Card and transfer it to your computer
3. Open 010 Hex Editor
4. In 010 Hex Editor go to the Menus above and select VIEW>LINEFEEDS>SELECT CUSTOM>SET YOUR BYTES TO "32" Nothing Less
5. Locate the bml3.bak file you created and transfered to your computer and open it using the editor
(CREDIT TO FR0Z3N FOR CLARIFYING THE FOLLOWING 2 STEPS)
6. Using your keyboard select CRTL+F to search for a hex string, when the search window pops up select "Hex byte" in the Type field and then search for the following string below:
"FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" ALL TOGETHER, Then Hit the FIND ALL button to the right, some of you will get 2 results and others up to 10 results on your screen below
7. If you look at your Hex editor there are 3 window panes on the selected line (See Image Below)
e.g 4CCC60h <– Offset
01 01 01 01 < — Hex Keys
yyyyyyyyy <- ASCII text where your code is
h.t .t p / / i1201.photobucket . com /albums/ bb359/sanfranx415/unlock.jpg
8. Go through each result from the above search and you will see on the 3rd window pane (as shown on pic above) after the hex keys there is an 8 DIGIT CODE (Write this code Down) this is your unlock code NCK for your phone
Sidenote: THIS 8 DIG CODE SHOULD SHOW ON AT-LEAST ONE MORE RESULT CHECK ALL YOUR RESULTS FROM THE SEARCH ABOVE IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ( SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE YOUR CODE SHOWN AT-LEAST 2 TIMES AND SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE THE CODE SHOW MORE THAN 4 TIMES BUT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT MANY RESULTS )
**** TO INPUT THE UNLOCK NETWORK CODE DO THE FOLLOWING ****
9. Turn off your phone
10. Insert a foreign SIM card not attached to your current provider (e.g if you have T-mob use an ATT SIM CARD) and turn on your phone
11. You will be prompted to enter a Network Unlock Control Key ( Use the code above that you wrote down and type it in your phone exactly)
12. After entering your NCK please hit Unlock or GO button and you should see a screen that says "network unlock successful" and your phone should go in the main screen after your phone has been unlocked.
For further details and discussion please visit the relevant thread at XDA developer forums.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.