As we mentioned some days ago that B&N has released a major update of the FW in the form of Nook Color v1.2 that you can get right now here. Major new features include the Android Froyo, flash support, new email application and some other tablet centric enhancements. Of course, there is also a selected set of new applications for you eReader. Don’t expect the usual large array of applications that are available on the Android Market to be available yet officially. In other words, the long list of hacks that we mentioned in the past for your Nook Color still remains very useful! Nook Color users were really excited about the root for the new 1.2 firmware and they shouldn’t be disappointed as today we have the procedure UP on how to root your Nook Color on 1.2 using the ManualNooter. Apart from rooting this method also installs GApps and Market. Although there are still some issues here & there so keep them in mind (take a look in the issues section).
Here is the step by step method to root your Nook Color on 1.2 (all credit goes to the XDA developer GabrialDestruir ):
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Update 1: I have updated the link to the latest version of ManualNooter to 4.5.2 which was made available today. It should fix some Market visibility issues as well as some new apps are added. Here is the change log for ManualNooter 4.5.2:
– Renamed: Softkeys, zeam, NookColorTools, for easier updates.
– Adds: Calculator, Calendar, TouchRecalibrate, RomManager.
– Update: Changed Fingerprint to ‘ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/GT-P1000/GT-P1000/GT-P1000:2.2/FROYO/ZUJJ4:user/release-keys’ will hopefully open market up.
– Note: No Flash 10.2 as it caused boot looping when installed with Nooter 1.2 (and apparently some cases of side loading).
Update 2: Bookmark this page as I will keep posting new updates & information as it becomes available!
- su and Superuser.apk
- Softkeys 3.0.6
- NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
- Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
- Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
- App Auto Install (Open up update.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
- To update to 1.2 firmware you are required to do a complete wipe (see in the end of this article for details).
- Then to update to 1.2 see the instructions here (1.2 is a must to use ManualNooter 4.5.2).
- You must already have a registered NooKcolor
- You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, etc.
- CWM Bootable from SD Card: (Follow our guide if you are not sure)
Step 1: First download the ManualNooter-4.5.2 from here.
Step 2: Copy it at the root of your flashable CWM.
Step 3: If your Nook Color is Plugged in then Unplug it from computer and turn off.
Step 4: Insert flashable CWM SDcard with ManulNooter into your NooKcolor.
Step 5: Now Plug the USB sync cable in your computer and your NooKcolor to boot it up.
Step 6: Now soon CWM menu should appear as it boots up. Now select the following (Using Volume and n Buttons):
- Install zip from sdcard
- Choose zip from sdcard
Step 7: Now wait and follow any on-screen instructions.
Step 8: After loading select Zeam Launcher.
Step 9: Now open the Market to accept terms and service/sign In.
Step 10: Enable Non-Market app installations by running the NookColor Tools App.
Step 11: This final step is required to make your card usable again: Navigate to Settings -> Device Info –> SdCard –> UnMount -> Format.
Step 12: You are all set. Enjoy your rooted Nook Color on new 1.2 firmware!
How to Do a Complete Wipe:
Please follow our guide on doing a complete wipe of your Nook Color device.
Note that both Software Update & Factory Reset are required to do a complete wipe as mentioned in the above guide
Here are some current issues mentioned by the developer:
IMEI Force Close – There is no randomly Generated IMEI in this version. – Apps that close due to lack of IMEI need to be fixed by Developers not users.
Lack of file manager can make it harder to install side loaded apps. – Will have to use browser.
Current Market Issues.
Newer versions of Market appends /cache/download path with null: "/cache/downloadnull/"
Newer versions of Market when trying to install downloaded apps returns: " AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver.i nstallFromUri(): Could not verify APK signature."
Market has limited visibility – Using CM6 Fingerprint. Maybe permissions, something else?
Market v1.82 may try to update breaking in the same way as above. – May auto-magically fix itself too? Don’t know what happened, keep an eye out for this.
Stay tuned for more updates on Nook Color hacks & tips&trick in particular related to the 1.2 update! In the mean time you might also want to check out our guide on How to Root/Unlock Nook Color 1.2 to Enable Non Market Android Apps (APK Enabler) ?
[Thanks to GabrialDestruir]
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.