CyanogenMod 7 new beta releases are coming out on quite regular basis and much more stable for the Galaxy Tab. So, we decided to bring you a guide on the installation of the CM7 on your Samsung Galaxy Tab. Note that CM7 is still under active development and there may be quite a few bugs lurking around. Furthermore, this method will work only for the GSM version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Please take a look what is currently working in this build of the CM7 for the Galaxy Tab:
Voice calls: OK (make sure to use modem.bin compatible with JK5 RIL)
3G data: OK
Bluetooth: Turns on, discovery works, keyboard, A2DP work, BT SCO (headset profile) does not. Sometimes does not start, start it again manually.
Camera: reports say broken, as expected, disabled for now.
Sensors: AKM kinda works, gravity is OK now, proximity is faked at 10cm, light sensor now works reliably but auto brightness is screwed.
GPS: should work now.
Recovery and initramfs: CWM3, partitions get mounted, wipe works, havent tried backup/restore
Video playback: broken till I will fix overlay driver, all hw accell disabled
1) Download the Heimdall which is much like Odin and used to flash custom ROMs on Samsung Galaxy devices.
2) Download the Gingerbread based CM7 beta for the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
- First install the Heimdall suite on your PC.
- Now extract the contents of the downloaded ROM in a folder on your PC.
- Execute the Heimdall and click the browse button to navigate to the folder where you extracted the contents of ROM in step 2.
- Now turnoff the device.
- Press and hold the Home and Volume-Down buttons together, then press Power button and keep holding all three buttons until you enter download mode.
- Connect Galaxy Tab to PC using USB cable.
- Now press ‘Start’ button in Heimdall.
- Wait until progress bar finishes which will lead to a reboot first into recovery and then reboot again into the new firmware.
- Congrats as you have CM7 installed on your Samsung Galaxy Tab!
For further discussion and announcements for the new builds of the the CM7 ROM please head to the XDA developer forums.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.