A few weeks back, we bought you the detailed full root method for the Samsung Galaxy S2. Now after as while first ever custom ROM for your shiny new SGS2 is available called VillainROM (v1.0)! This is fully rooted ROM and has been resigned for much greater scope for any upcoming tweaks. Here are the features of this custom VillainROM 1.0:
ROM itself is rooted
XWKE2 deodexed firmware
Re-signed to permit much greater scope for tweaks
Here is more detailed explanation by the developer of this ROM (pulser_g2) about the differences from the stock ROM:
This ROM is XWKE2, it’s rooted, and it has the stock kernel. Unless you are developing or need something else, this kernel will do you fine, as the underlying ROM is rooted
It’s fully deodexed, and I’ve resigned all the Samsung and stock applications with a new key-set, so that it’s much easier to make modifications to the apps in future. Villain Tweaks was a project of mine to "test the water" for modifying the apps in the SGS 2 ROMs. I hit issues I couldn’t get around, since the pre-installed apps were signed by Samsung.
This means that I can now edit the apps on the phone to apply all sorts of tweaks and "hacks", like the ones I’ve done so far, but with greater scope as to which files can be modified. For example, I’ve got a messaging app here (Mms.apk), which should let you send 10 SMS messages together without converting it to an MMS, and allow 200 recipients of an SMS, rather than ten.
But in order for me to release such changes (which a number of people were requesting), I need to have the signing keys used for the applications. So since it’s a re-signed ROM, it’s nice and easy to release tweaks.
Here, we present a step-by-step guide on flashing this custom ROM.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Download the ODIN file and then extract the .zip file.
- Download the VillainROM-SGS2-v1.0.tar.md5 file (NOT extract the .tar file).
- If you do not have Samsung’s KIES 2.0 installed, download and install it. Correct USB drivers must be installed, so that programs can communicate with the device. Reboot computer after KIES installation.
Step 1: Make sure that your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
Step 2: Reboot your device into download mode. To do so: Turn the device off, then power it on again by pressing and holding VolumeDown + Home + Power simultaneously.
Step 3: Start ODIN.
Step 4: Connect the device to your computer using USB.
Step 5: Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen will show that a device is now connected
– Make sure that in ODIN nothing is checked, except the "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time" checkboxes.
– Press the "PDA" button, and select the "VillainROM-SGS2-v1.0.tar.md5" file.
– Press "Start". ODIN will now flash the kernel, and the device should reboot.
Step 6: Done! Now you have a fully rooted SG2 with VillainROM 1.0 Custom ROM installed!
Stay tuned for more Samsung Galaxy SII related rooting and tweaking guides…
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.