OK Samsung Galaxy S2 owners, lovers here is nice little tweak/hack for you if happen to be on the AT&T 3G/4G network and not satisfied with your data speeds. This comes via uskr an XDA developer forum member who had trouble with the slow performance of the AT&T data networks, so he came up with this tweak. Using this tweak he managed to increase the data speed from 3 to 4 times! Although, your mileage may vary but you can give it a go, if you are experiencing slow 3G/4G speeds.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Here are the steps:
Note that for Method 1 you need to have installed Root Explorer.
1. adb pull /system/build.prop (this is not essential but just required to make a backup copy)
2. Launch Root Explorer on the phone
3. open /system folder and click on "mount r/w" option
4. open the build.prop file on Root Explorer (to edit the file)
5. Add following code to the end of the file:
6. Save and quit Root Explorer
7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
Method 2 as explained by the uskr is as follows:
1. adb pull /system/build.prop
2. make a backup copy of it
3. edit with your preferred editor and add those lines to the end of the file
4. adb shell (then su to root)
5. mount the /system partition as read/write
6. quit adb shell
7. adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
8. reboot your phone
You might also want to experiment with few params as mentioned by the developer of this tweak:
Your mileage may vary. I would recommend you to play with ro.ril.hsdpa.category and ro.ril.hsupa.category values. Both are set to the maximun value possible as it is. In theory the "correct" values to use for ATT 4g on this phone would be hsdpa.category=20 (21mbps) and hsupa.category=6 (5mbps), but I had a significant performance gain by using the values I am using (28 / 9).
Well, I am not sure but this tweak might work on other Android phones as well such as HTC Desire. For further discussions and information head over to the relevant thread on the XDA forum.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.