Since the time time Froyo build of the Android for the Nook Color (1.2) has landed, users are rooting their Nook Color 1.2 devices to gain the maximum flexibility and control, to transform the Nook Color in to a more full-fledged tablet. We published a guide on How to Root Nook Color on New 1.2 Firmware & Install Market. However, it seems that many people has problems with the Market visibility even app installation errors. It’s pretty difficult to pin-point all the errors but it seems that a XDA member GMPOWER has come up with some hope. He has actually giving us a modified kernel from the stock that allows to fix the Google Market as well as Amazon Market errors. In particular, this should fix the “installation error unknown reason-18”.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
All the details are best explained by the developer himself including the installation guide as follow:
What it does:
This kernel should fix the “installation error unknown reason-18” error that currently keeps apps from properly installing from the Android or Amazon markets, such as Angry Birds and Airport Mania.
This kernel will also allow you to install apps to your SD card and back to your NC from within app manager. The kernel is 100% stock, except for what it took to fix this problem, stock volts and clock.
None of yet. I just finished building the kernel, but have been able to install around 75 apps, 20 of them had experienced the “unknown reason-18” error before I installed the kernel. I was able to move apps back and forth from the SD card without any problems.
Consider this to be in the beta stage.
How to Use:
1. Download the attached file *MD5 4c188079b543f7e5823379461b35e753 *
2. Place the file “Nook_Kernel_Fix-signed.zip” onto your SD card
3. Install the zip with ClockworkMod Recovery
4. Report any problems that you have related to this
And here is the download: Nook_Kernel_Fix-signed.zip (3.01 MB)
In case you are a new user then these articles may be helpful:
- How to Get in to ClockworkMod Recovery Mode on Your Nook Color ?
- How to Create a Bootable ClockworkMod 18.104.22.168 SD Card for Your Nook Color ? [Guide]
Head over to the Nook Color section on our website to get the complete set of guides related to rooting, hacking and general tip&tricks of Nook Color.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.