A few weeks has passed since the last time we talked about the newly released Nook Touch (NT) by the B&N and mentioned that it has been hacked by a guy named JesusFreke! The first thing that he did after the rooting was the installation of Angry Birds and have some fun! For those who don’t know Nook Touch is a cheap E-Reader with monochrome screen suitable for book reading in the same league as the Amazon Kindle. At that time the rooting process was manual and pretty complicated particularly for the novice users. But no more! as a new much more automated and user-friendly tool called TouchNooter is available that makes the whole process of rooting the Nook Touch much more seamless. It has been developed by the GabrialDestruir an XDA forum member. You can download the TouchNooter from here and give it a go.
Developer has actually provided very useful and detailed instructions on the original thread and we are replicating here for you connivance. Just the follow the step-by-step guide mentioned below to easily root your Nook Touch:
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Enables ADB via uRamdisk
- Installs su and Superuser.apk
- Installs Busybox
- Installs Button Savior
- Installs Go Launcher
- Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
- Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
- Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-1-6-24.zip
- Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-1-6-24.img of=/dev/sdcard
- Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
- Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
- Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
- Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
- Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
- You should see the screen "Rooted Forever".
- It will boot like normal and you should be asked to select a launcher now. (If not use Button Savior to go home. This will bring up the launcher chooser.)
- That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
- Upon boot unlock your screen.
- At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
- Enable Location Services when given the option.
- Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from Go Launcher’s App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
- Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
- Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
- Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
- Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
- Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
- If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.
- Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
- If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
- Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format
[All credit goes to GabrialDestruir]
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.