CyanogenMod 7 or CM7 is one of the most well known community-driven custom ROM distributions for the Android based devices out there. CyanogenMod 7 is actually based on the official Android 2.3 Gingerbread source and is completely community driven distribution. There is a rather long list of new features in the CyanogenMod 7 as compared to the previous versions of this popular distribution. We have already covered the installation guides of the CyanogenMod 7 on a number of popular devices. Somehow we missed the installation guide for the Samsung Galaxy S which is still one of the most popular Android based smartphones despite the recent release of the Samsung Galaxy S2. So here is the guide for the installation of this fast, efficient and feature packed ROM for your beloved Samsung Galaxy S.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S. If your device is not rooted take a look at this article.
- ClockworkMod Recovery should be installed. You can install it via ROM Manager that can be downloaded from market. In case you are not sure take a look at our detailed guide on How to Flash A Custom ROM On Any Android Phone Safely: A Complete Step-by-Step Tutorial.
Step 1) First Root your device and then install the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) as mentioned above.
Step 2) Reboot into to the Recovery menu (you can do it through the ROM manager or a 3 button combo).
Step 3) Perform a Nandroid backup once in the Recovery. This step is not necessary but will save you trouble if something goes wrong!
Step 4) Now WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition).
Step 5) Finally install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery.
Step 6) You can also optionally install the Google Add-on.
Please note that if you are a newbie to Android, or have any difficulty to follow the above procedure please follow this excellent tutorial “How to Flash A Custom ROM On Any Android Phone Safely: A Complete Step-by-Step Tutorial” that explains the custom ROM installation procedure on Android devices in great detail.
Here is a useful FAQ section on the CyanogenMod 7 installation on the Samsung Galaxy S that you might want to check out if you have any trouble during the installation procedure. Here is our guide on Installing CyanogenMod 7 (Based on Android 2.3.4) on Samsung Galaxy S II (S2).
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.