In that past, we have covered a long list of guides for custom Roms that you can install on your rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) as well as a number of guides on how to easily root your device. These custom ROMs that we covered earlier include a number of interesting features that are usually not present in the stock Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) Android ROM that comes pre-installed with the device. These include the enhanced and more optimized performance, CWM (ClockWorkMod) installation, SIP stack, extended power menu, a fix for the battery draining issues, hacked camera app, Gtalk with video and list goes on …. You can see all the awesome ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) that we covered in the past in the relevant section.
But you know that Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) might be awesome and very powerful but also quite expensive and might not be affordable for a lot of people. However, on the other hand original Samsung Galaxy S that started all this Galaxy craze can be found very cheap these days at many places if you look around. Original Samsung Galaxy S is still a very powerful device to this day and no wonder its still so popular even now. And what if I tell you that you can get most of the features and apps including the look and fell of shiny new Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) on you old Samsung Galaxy S! Yes, this is possible now thanks to an awesome new ROM via the XDA forum member Faryaab that developed it.
This is fully rooted ROM for the original Samsung Galaxy S and includes almost all the key Samsung Galaxy S2 software features that you can now get on your aging Samsung Galaxy S! These include the TouchWiz 4.0, theme, camera app, lockscreen, startup sound,UI sounds icon, task manager skin, email app, widgets, File Manager and much more stuff.
ROM itself if fully rooted and comes Busybox installed, CWM installation, hacked camera/browser and no. of other powerful tweaks. See the list of key ROM features and features ported from the SGS2 below:
Key ROM Features
- Based on XXJVP Firmware
- Busybox installed
- Superuser installed
- Build.prop Modifications
- CWM 2 & 3 Compatible
- CRT Off Animation (Enable all animations in display settings)
- Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery & Download)
- CM7 Percentage Battery Icon
- Nexus S Connectivity Icons
- Huge Apns List
- SIP Calling (Also works with 3G)
- Hacked Browser (User Agent And 16+ Tab Support)
- Hacked Camera App (Low Battery + Shutter + Shoot From Power Button)
- Quadrant Score 2300+
- Hacked Mms App
- Non-Increasing Ringtone Phone App
- Removed Some Samsung Apps and Widgets
- Dark Core 2.7.3 Kernel
- Gtalk 1.3 With Video
- Voodoo Sound
Samsung Galaxy S2 (II) Specific Features
- TouchWiz 4.0
- Live Wallpapers
- Real Samsung Galaxy S II Theme
- Task Manager (Themed)
- Alarm Sounds
- UI Sounds
- Startup Animation
- Shutdown Animation
- Email App
- Email Widget
- Digital Clock Widget
- Weather Widget
- Static Wallpapers (Moved To SDCard)
- Polaris Office
- Startup Sound
- File Manager
- Post It Widget
- BuddysNow Widget
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S. If your device is not rooted take a look at this article.
- ClockworkMod Recovery should be installed. You can install it via ROM Manager that can be downloaded from market. In case you are not sure take a look at our detailed guide on How to Flash A Custom ROM On Any Android Phone Safely: A Complete Step-by-Step Tutorial.
- Download anyone of the following versions of this ROM based on your requirements:
- Put the above downloaded ROM on the root of your SDcard.
Step 1) First Root your device and then install the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) as mentioned above.
Step 2) Reboot into to the Recovery menu (you can do it through the ROM manager or a 3 button combo).
Step 3) Perform a Nandroid backup once in the Recovery. This step is not necessary but will save you trouble if something goes wrong!
Step 4) Now WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition).
Step 5) Finally install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery.
Step 6) After installation just reboot your device and enjoy!
Please note that if you are a newbie to Android, or have any difficulty to follow the above procedure please follow this excellent tutorial “How to Flash A Custom ROM On Any Android Phone Safely: A Complete Step-by-Step Tutorial” that explains the custom ROM installation procedure on Android devices in great detail.
If you face any problems along the path then a useful FAQ section is provided on the developers website at the XDA forums that you might want to check out.
You might also be interested to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II section on our website where we have covered a large collection of tweaks, tips&tricks and rooting and custom ROM installation guides for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII).
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.