Setting appropriate privacy levels on multiple computers while syncing data on Dropbox can get quite complicated. Having been a Sys-admin myself for a lot of years, experience has taught me never to underestimate the chance of a privacy breach when it comes to data. Even by protecting important ‘eyes only’ information by placing it on a system that isn’t connected to the network, people tend to forget one basic fact- the system administrator is all powerful! It only makes sense therefore, to use flash drives to store important data and use it only when required.
Resolving the crisis
Dropbox Portable AHK is the portable equivalent of Dropbox; which implies that you could just take your Dropbox software on your flash drive and walk around and use it on every system you come across without having to install the software painfully on them. The entire software is at your mercy. To execute the program, you have to transfer the entire folder to the respective directory on the system and you’re good to go.
This also allows you to have multiple accounts for accessing the data differently on the same system; which translates as universal equivalence in your rights. This means that whether you’re logged in as the administrator or a guest, you have equal authority over the Dropbox data! Dropbox Portable AHK retains almost all of the features of the full fledged Dropbox software. So you’ll almost ever be able to tell them apart.
Setting up Dropbox Portable AHK
Dropbox Portable AHK allows you to set up a configuration either from scratch or by copying an existing directory.
In case you already have some Dropbox data, you can choose to copy or move the pre-existing data and Dropbox Portable AHK will transfer the contents accordingly to the new folder.
On the other hand, if you do not have a configuration in hand that you would like to stick to, you can configure Dropbox right from the start. You can then sign in using your current Dropbox username and password. Dropbox Portable AHK allows you to set up multiple accounts and save the files on a flash drive so that you can leave with your data right away. Following the above steps, you will receive a notification informing you that your DropboxPortableAHK account was configured right and set up.
You can now keep a tab on multiple Dropbox users and synchronize them on the selected destination directory. Something you should note, though, is that Dropbox Portable AHK requires Dropbox to have been installed already on your system if you wish to copy the current configurations.
Here are the features of the Dropbox Portable AHK in detail as provided by the developer:
- Keeps dropbox up to date
- Makes it fully portable -> you do not have to install it on every pc you use, just copy the entire directory and start the application
- You can put your dropbox on your USB-Stick and have it with you all the time
- You can select which folders should be synchronized to your folder (Selective Sync)
- You can maintain multiple dropbox accounts on the same computer/user account
- You can use your dropbox everywhere, also without administrator privileges
- If a new version is released, the old version will pop up a notification window asking you whether you want to update it or not.
- SyncAndGo – Let Dropbox sync all files and close it afterwards
- User Applications – Run applications before and after the execution of Dropbox
- Connection Profiles – Set up different connection settings
Dropbox Portable AHK is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.