Previously we brought you a detailed guide on rooting the Nook Color 1.2. Since then some further development has taken place and B&N has released a new 1.3 firmware for the Nook Color. And here is the updated guide for rooting this 1.3 firmware on the Nook Color. Note that apart from rooting this method also installs GApps and Market. Although there are still some issues here & there so keep them in mind (take a look in the issues section).
Here is the step by step method to root your Nook Color on 1.3 (all credit goes to the XDA developer GabrialDestruir ):
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Here are all apps that will be installed and features that will be enabled by following this rooting guide for rooting Nook Color 1.3 firmware:
Permanently Enables ADB via uRamdisk
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
Installs zeam Launcher
Installs B&N HomeLauncher
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
App Auto Install (Open up update.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
- To update to 1.2 firmware you are required to do a complete wipe (see in the end of this article for details).
- Then to update to 1.2 see the instructions here (1.2 is a must to use ManualNooter 4.6.16).
- You must already have a registered NooKcolor
- You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, etc.
- CWM Bootable from SD Card: (Follow our guide if you are not sure)
Please follow all the steps first with 4.5.18 then with 4.6.16 version of the ManualNooter.
Step 1: Copy ManualNooter at the root of your flashable CWM.
Step 2: If your Nook Color is Plugged in then Unplug it from computer and turn off.
Step 3: Insert flashable CWM SDcard with ManulNooter into your NooKcolor.
Step 4: Now Plug the USB sync cable in your computer and your NooKcolor to boot it up.
Step 5: Now soon CWM menu should appear as it boots up. Now select the following (Using Volume and n Buttons):
- Install zip from sdcard
- Choose zip from sdcard
- ManualNooter-4-5-18.zip or ManualNooter-4-6-16.zip depending upon if you are going through this process for the first or second time.
Step 6: Now wait and follow any on-screen instructions. In case you get install failed after getting out of CWM then just reboot again.
Step 7: After loading select Zeam Launcher.
Step 8: Now run Fix Permissions from ROM Manager (after flashing ManualNooter 4.6.16).
Step 9: Now open the Market to accept terms and service/sign In.
Step 10: Enable Non-Market app installations by running the NookColor Tools App.
Step 11: This final step is required to make your card usable again: Navigate to Settings -> Device Info –> SdCard –> UnMount -> Format.
You are all set. Enjoy your rooted Nook Color on new 1.3 firmware!
How to Do a Complete Wipe
Please follow our guide on doing a complete wipe of your Nook Color device.
Note that both Software Update & Factory Reset are required to do a complete wipe as mentioned in the above guide
Here are some current issues mentioned by the developer that are unresolved:
- IMEI Force Close –
- There is no randomly Generated IMEI in this version. – Apps that close due to lack of IMEI need to be fixed by Developers not users.
- Network Location isn’t enabled –
- Signature Issue again – Work is being done to locate the fix.
In case you face any further issues with the installation or Market related issues etc. then please take a look at the relevant thread at the XDA forums for the list of problems and possible solutions.
Stay tuned for more updates on Nook Color hacks & tips&trick in the mean time you might also want to check out our guide on How to Root/Unlock Nook Color 1.2 to Enable Non Market Android Apps (APK Enabler) ?
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.