As I commented before in previous articles that stock Gingerbread (Android 2.3) Samsung ROM on Galaxy SII (S2) works pretty well right out of the box, but still I am not very happy with some of the design decisions taken by the stock ROM developers at Samsung. For example,why can’t we mute the shutter sounds when taking the stills, why no option to disable the battery low or full charge notification sounds, and most annoying – no option to show the battery icon in the status bar showing the percentage! Well most of these limitations can be overcome by using a custom ROM as most of the new custom ROMs that are being released these days for the Galaxy S2 take care of these and many other issues that we talked about elsewhere on this website. We have already covered a number some beautiful and feature-packed ROMs for this popular Samsung device. But the focus for this article is on how to simply change the battery icon on the statusbar in stock rom to show the circular battery percentage to get a more accurate on how much battery juice is still left (see the screenshots below).
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Show Circular Battery Percentage
1) First of all make sure that your device is rooted and CWM recovery mode is installed. If its not then follow this article: Root Samsung Galaxy SII (S2) Using Odin and CF-Root Insecure Kernels to do so.
2) Download the zip file for circular battery mod to flash:
– For AT&T Galaxy S2.
3) Copy the zip file to the root of your SDcard.
4) Now Flash the zip simply using the CWM recovery mode. You can get to that either using the “Reboot” option in the CWM that is installed with the CF-Root method for rooting. Or you can simply reboot and go in to CWM recovery mode by pressing the vol+power+Home all together during boot.
5) After flashing just reboot the device.
6) Enjoy the much more useful and beautiful circular battery percentage icon in statusbar!
In the original thread at XDA you can also find some more style files to flash for different theming of the battery percentage icon. However, the procedure is exactly the same as mentioned above.
Please note that you must be at stock ROM to use these battery percentage mods.
You might also be interested to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II section on our website where we have covered a large collection of tweaks, tips&tricks and rooting and custom ROM installation guides for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII).
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.