If you buy a new Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) there is of course a lot of bloat installed on it, mostly in the form of Samsung Apps such as Music Hub , Games Hub and so on, that are not that much useful, and for the most pre-installed apps you can find better alternatives in the Android Market. However, despite all the bloat still there is no denying that this smartphone with the stock firmware and kernel feel very fast and responsive mostly because of the powerful CPU+GPU combination as well as the speed improvements in the Android 2.3 Gingerbread as compared to previous versions of the Android. But the real fun for the hardcore tweakers begins when they attempt to mod their Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) by flashing custom firmware, kernels and other tweaks to personalize it more or to enhance the performance even further.
We have covered a lot of exciting customs ROMs that are available for this amazing phone for you to flash. But if for some reason you are already comfortable with the stock firmware on your device you can still do a lot in the customization and performance enhancement department by installing/flashing custom kernels on the device. There are a number of custom kernels available that you can flash on your Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) but the one that I liked the most and I will talk about today is called SpeedMod. This kernel has a number of advantages over the stock Samsung kernel that comes installed on your Galaxy S2 device. For example, it removes many un-necessary logging and debugging features to save on the CPU cycles that helps to improve the performance as well as battery life. In the performance department there are also some compiler and code optimizations. I like the fact that there are no potentially unstable modifications such as undervolting, overclocking etc. Despite no overclocking, I can tell still this kernel is very fast. For example, on my Galaxy S2 using the stock kernel I was getting around 3600 score on the Quadrant but by flashing this kernel score has shooted over 4,000 because of the above mentioned optimizations! All without any overclocking! Also the battery life is pretty good in my experience.
SpeedMod’s core features are:
- Super stable: No undervolting, overclocking or potentially unstable modifications
- Fast and smooth: Compiler and code optimizations
- Excellent battery life: Remove unecessary logging and debugging
In terms of other features, there is screen tuning to enhance sharpness as well as reduced screen over-saturation problem (although the effect is very subtle). There are also a number of IO, CPU governor related tweaks to increase the system responsiveness. Also, note that this ROM is pre-rooted (SU binaries) and comes with the CWM 4.0 recovery option.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as InspiredGeek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Before you follow the procedure please make sure that your device is rooted and CWM 4 is installed. If not then follow this root guide for the Samsung Galaxy S2 that will also install the CWM (CF-Root).
1) Download the SpeedMod kernel from here.
2) Put it in to the root of internal SDcard memory.
3) Flash it simply using the CWM recovery mode. You can get to that either using the “Reboot” option in the CWM that is installed with the CF-Root method for rooting. Or you can simply reboot and go in to CWM recovery mode by pressing the vol+power+Home all together.
4) After flashing just reboot the device and should experience the much responsive Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) with better performance, battery life and screen colors!
You might also be interested to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II section on our website where we have covered a large collection of tweaks, tips&tricks and rooting and custom ROM installation guides for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII).
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.