Long awaited CyanogenMod 9 based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. However, it must be noted that this is a very early build of the CM9 and its under heavy development. According to the developers stable version of CM9 for the SGSII will be available in January 2012 at the earliest. As a result this build should be flashed by only the most adventurous users out there who want to get the feel of CM9 on their Galaxy S2 device. Its based on the latest AOSP sources and some other useful tweaks.
Here are some known bugs pointed out by the developers:
- RIL crashes on providers with NITZ, makes phone unusable
- RIL sleep issues
- button backlights aren’t working
- low haptic feedback
- sensors aren’t working very good
- proximity sensor is always reporting 0
- video recording
- youtube video playback
- some missing video codecs
- and a lot more
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Download the ODIN file and then extract the .zip file.
- Download CyanogenMod 9 ZIP and extract the 3 included tar.md5 files from CyanogenMod 9 zip file using WinZip/WinRAR etc.
From CyanogenMod 9 ZIP also extract the three gapps and faceunlock flash-able zips as well and copy them to SDcard.
Procedure – Flash CyanogenMod 9 On Samsung Galaxy SII
Step 1: Make sure that your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
Step 2: Reboot your device into download mode. To do so: Turn the device off, then power it on again by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power simultaneously.
Step 3: Start ODIN.
Step 4: Connect the device to your computer using USB.
Step 5: Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen will show that a device is now connected
- Make sure that in ODIN nothing is checked.
- Press the "PDA" button, and select the the extracted tar file I9100_CODE_CM9_12252011.tar.md5 (from Required Downloads above) to flash the CM9 firmware.
- Press the "Phone" button, and select the the extracted tar file MODEM_I9100XXKP1_REV_02_CL1085642.tar.md5 (from Required Downloads above) to flash the modem.
- Press the "BOOTLOADER" button, and select the the extracted tar file I9100_APBOOT_I9100XXKP2_CL17109_REV02_eng_mid_ship.tar.md5 (from Required Downloads above) to flash the ICS bootloader.
- Press "Start". ODIN will now flash the above components.
Step 6: After flashing pull battery and reinsert it
Step 7: Boot into Recovery mode.
Step 8: Flash GApps and Faceunlock ZIPs
Step 9: DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET and Reboot.
Step 10: After the device reboots you will have CyanogenMod 9 based on Android 4.0.3 on your Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII)!
For further discussions and updates please head to the thread at the XDA forum.
You might also be interested to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II section on our website where we have covered a large collection of tweaks, tips&tricks and rooting and custom ROM installation guides for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII).
In the mean time, also have a look at our recent articles: Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Review of Best New Features and as well as: Some Impressive Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Features That You Don’t Know! to get hang of what the recent ICS craze is all about!
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.