All iPhone 4/3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPad1 and iPod Touch users rejoice as wait is finally over and fully untethered jailbreak for most of the current iDevices is released because of the hard work of pod2g that spent countless days to successfully release this solution. pod2g has provided the untethered jailbreak to both iPhone Dev-Team as well Chronic Dev-Team so that a proper untethered jailbreak tool can be released based on this contribution. Thankfully iPhone Dev-Team didn’t take much time to release a major update in the form of Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 which supports untethered jailbreak for the above mentioned iDevices. For now Redsn0w can be used to get fully untethered jailbreak for all Apple A4 based devices. That’s the reason that recently released iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are NOT mentioned above in this list of supported devices that can get untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1. Current version of the Redsn0w will only work with the iOS 5.0.1 and not iOS 5.0 which should be supported in a future Redsn0w version.
- The untether is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4-CDMA, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
- If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! See the guides at places like iClarified.com if you don’t know how. Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
- If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
- Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
Follow this simple guide to jailbreak your iPhone 4, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPhone 3GS, iPad1 or iPod Touch 3G/4G on iOS 5.0.1. Note that this method will not work for the Apple A5 based dual-core devices –iPhone 4S and iPad 2!
Warning: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
Now follow these instructions:
Jailbreak Stock iOS 5.0.1 Using Redsn0w
Step 1: Download the Redsn0w and save it to the desktop. Extract the Redsn0w application there in a folder on the desktop.
Step 2: Execute RedSn0w application from the folder where it was extracted earlier.
Step 3: Once RedSn0w appears on-screen click the “Jailbreak” button.
Step 4: Now plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure its turned-OFF (power-off) then click the Next button.
Step 5: RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds. Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device followed by the reboot of your iDevice.
Step 6: RedSn0w will then do it’s processing prepare the jailbreak data and you will be notified when RedSn0w is done.
Step 7: Now select Install Cydia from the list of available options on the screen and click Next.
Step 8: Your phone will again reboot and after that Redsn0w will begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel.
Step 9: Once the process completes you will be notified and your iDevice will reboot again. In approx. 5 minutes or so your device will boot untethered jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 with Cydia installed!
For Users Already on Tethered Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1
If you have already jailbroken your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPad1 on iOS 5.0.1 using g Redsn0w, Ac1dSn0w or Sn0wbreeze then a much simpler way to get the untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1 is download the recently released free package named “Corona” available on Cydia. No need to do any other step in this case!
Enjoy! now you have a un-tethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on your iDevice of choice iPhone 4, iPhone 4 CDMA, 3GS, iPad 1 or iPod Touch! Please note that if you rely on an unlock for your iPhone and want to preserve the baseband fro future unlock please use the “custom IPSW” option in Redsn0w to cook a custom firmware that can be restored later-on from iTunes.
If you want to jailbreak and then unlock your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 while preserving the baseband of your device then follow our guides that we posted earlier:
- Preserve Baseband & Untethered Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On iPhone 4/3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 [Windows/Mac Guide]
- Unlock iOS 5.0.1 Baseband On iPhone 4 / 3GS Using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 [How to]
Keep your fingers crossed for the release of the untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for Apple A5 based dual-core devices namely iPad 2 and iPhone 4S hopefully in near future! We will keep you posted…
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.