These Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich based Roms are popping-up around all over the place for many currently available devices – both smartphones and tablets, although at current stage ICS ROM ports for the most devices are not fully stable and mostly in alpha or at most beta stage. For example, in the past we brought you the guides for the Ice Cream Sandwich port installations on Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S, Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet etc. Now thanks to the hard work of the XDA forum developers there is an early build of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich available for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. You can get it right now and flash it on your beloved tablet but please keep in mind that at this time its quite buggy and some of the important features are broken. So flash it on your Galaxy Tab 8.9 only if you are feeling adventurous.
According to the developer following features are broken at this time:
- Wi-Fi-only, but 3G will be looked at for a future version (no ETA at the moment)
- Camera doesn’t work, don’t know when or if it can be fixed.
- Some video limitations, YouTube HD vids not working. Some stuttering will occur until we get the kinks out.
- Charger screen doesn’t look correct when you plugin without booting up (charging status)
- Voice search doesn’t work – May have something to do with this error:
W/PackageManager(257): Failure retrieving resources forcom.google.android.voicesearch: Resource ID #0×0
- Probably more that we haven’t listed, this is an alpha – please let us know.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Make sure that your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 is rooted.
- You need to have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on your device. Actually its not difficult to do so. Just follow this excellent guide that published some time ago to flash the CWM on your Android device.
Step 1. First download the Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM from above link and place it at the root of internal SDcard/storage of Galaxy Tab.
Step 2. Power-off your device and boot in to CWM. You can do it easily by selecting an option from ROM Manager. Or use the specific button combination to do so.
Step 3. This is an optional step but preferred to take a Nandroid backup. This will be useful in case you want to restore your device to old state in case something goes wrong.
Step 4. From the main menu in CWM wipe data/factory reset, wipe Dalvik cache.
Step 5. Now flash the ICS ROM on your Galaxy Tab 8.9 device by selecting install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard that you downloaded above. After this also flash the GApps that you also downloaded above.
Step 6. Finally reboot the device.
Step 7. If everything goes well, your device should boot Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 installed!
Step 8: Install CPU control of choice, and set to interactive governor (this is required!). SetCPU, No-frills CPU control, and Antuantu tested.
For more discussions, updates and details head-over to the official thread at the XDA forums.
In the mean time, have a look at our recent articles: Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Review of Best New Features and as well as: Some Impressive Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Features That You Don’t Know! to get hang of what the recent ICS craze is all about!
Please note that this is deodexed ROM and first boot will be slow as well as the first launch of many apps.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.