For now many Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) users are anxiously waiting for the official release of the Ice Sandwich (Android 4.0.3) based firmware from Samsung to flash on their device to bring it up to date with the latest improvements and features in the ICS. However, as we mentioned in the past it will take some time – at least few more months before this official release comes through the Samsung channels. Of course, there are already some early builds of the popular community-driven firmware based on ICS for the SGS2 such as CM9 and MIUI that we reported in last few weeks here. But I can imagine there are people that will be more comfortable with something official directly from Samsung.
Some time ago, we reported about an early build of Android 4.0 based firmware for Galaxy SII that was believed to be work-in-progress version of the ICS port for Samsung Galaxy SII by Samsung. And now today yet again two other Android 4.0 firmware for the Galaxy S2 leak on the Internet! News comes straight from SamMobile. Exact information for the 2 leaked firmwares is as follows:
I9100XXKP8 [Recommended By SamMobile]
Base Firmware: I9100XXKP8 (4.0.3)
Build Date: 30th December 2011
Change List: CL42141
Kernel Version: 3.0.13
Base Firmware: I9100XXKP4 (4.0.1)
Build Date: 20th December 2011
Change List: CL27328
Kernel Version 3.0.9
Interestingly these leaked firmware include TouchWiz interface. Here we provide a step-by-step guide on the installation of more updated Android 4.0.3 based I9100XXKP8 on your SGS2. Please keep in mind these are leaked firmware and NOT come directly form Samsung and more importantly may contain unforeseen bugs. So, please don’t flash them on your daily usage Android device. Also these are only for the international version of the SGS2 NOT for the other variants of the device! Finally, note that both firmwares have their kernel signed so they wont update your download count which is good news.
So after the usual word of caution lets get started!
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Download the ODIN file and then extract the .zip file.
- Download Android 4.0.3 ICS XXKP8 (password: samfirmware.com) and extract the contents/files of Android 4.0.3 ICS XXKP8 to the desktop.
- If KIES is running in the background then turn it off as it may interfere with the ODIN.
Procedure – Flash Android 4.0.3 On Samsung Galaxy SII
Step 1: Make sure that your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
Step 2: Reboot your device into download mode. To do so: Turn the device off, then power it on again by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power simultaneously.
Step 3: Start ODIN.
Step 4: Connect the device to your computer via USB.
Step 5: Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen will show that a device is now connected
- Make sure that in ODIN nothing is checked, except the "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time" checkboxes.
- Press the "PDA" button, and select the the extracted tar file I9100_CODE_I9100XXKP8_CL42141_REV02_user_low_ship. tar.md5 (from extracted Download above that you placed on desktop) to flash the firmware.
- Press the "Phone" button, and select the the extracted tar file MODEM_I9100XXKP8_REV_02_CL1092599.tar.md5 (from extracted Download above that you placed on desktop) to flash the modem.
- Press the "CSC" button, and select the the extracted tar file GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXAKP8.tar.md5 (from Required Downloads above) to flash the CSC.
- Press "Start".
- ODIN will now flash the above components.
- Device should reboot after flashing the Android 4.0.3 firmware components on your Samsung Galaxy SII device.
You might also be interested to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II section on our website where we have covered a large collection of tweaks, tips&tricks and rooting and custom ROM installation guides for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII).
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.