It was couple of weeks ago that we had a big news in the form of updated jailbreak tool called Redsn0w that allowed to get untethered jailbreak on many iDevices including iPhone 4/3GS and iPad. But unfortunately at that time it wasn’t possible to jailbreak Apple A5 based newer devices such as iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1. But we were promised that in a short time A5 chip based devices will also get the same jailbreak treatment. And finally the wait is over as greenpois0n team has released a graphical tool called GreenPois0n Absinthe A5 to jailbreak Apple A5 based devices iPhone 4S and iPad 2. And the best of all this is an untethered jailbreak! Here we are going to guide you through a simple process on how to use this tool.
Please make sure that your device firmware is upgraded to stock iOS 5.0.1 in case of iPad 2 and iOS 5 or iOS 5.0.1 in case of iPhone 4S. Then follow this simple to get the untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2. Furthermore, keep in mind that this tool only works for the Apple A5 based devices at-least for now!
For now GreenPois0n Absinthe is only available for Mac OSX but a Windows/Linux version should follow soon. We will keep you informed as it happens.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Download and install the latest iTunes software.
- Download GreenPois0n Absinthe Mac OS X [mirror]
- iOS 5.0.1 stock firmware
Jailbreak iPhone 4S, iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 Procedure
1) Launch GreenPois0n Absinthe tool and connect your iPhone 4S/iPad 2 to Mac.
2) Now simply click the “Jailbreak” button in the Absinthe tool which will lead to fake restore and a reboot session.
3) Ignore the “Restore” prompt if it happens.
4) Wait for the Absinthe bar to get complete
5) Afterwards find and tap the “Absinthe” icon that has been placed on one of your iOS device home-screens which will result in jailbreak process to get complete and reboot the device.
6) If you receive the error "Error establishing a database connection" then close the program and try again.
7) Now observe that “Absinthe” icon on the home-screen is replaced with the Cydia icon after the jailbreak process completes!
8) Enjoy the untethered jailbreak iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 device!
Note: If you have an issue on Step 5 and nothing happens then just go to Setting applet and toggle the VPN switch on which will results in an error being generated that you should ignore and then device will reboot after few seconds.
If you want to jailbreak and then unlock your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 while preserving the baseband of your device then follow our guides that we posted earlier:
- Preserve Baseband & Untethered Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On iPhone 4/3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 [Windows/Mac Guide]
- Unlock iOS 5.0.1 Baseband On iPhone 4 / 3GS Using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 [How to]
If you want to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on your iDevice but NOT concerned about preserving the baseband of your iDevice then please follow our guide:
- Untethered Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 On iPhone 4/3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPad1, iPod Touch Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 [Windows/Mac Guide]
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.