Samsung Galaxy Note is one of the rather interesting devices released by Samsung as it’s a cross between a traditional tablet and a smartphone with a gigantic screen size of 5.3-inch (by smartphone standards). It makes the device much more useful for some people in terms of increased productivity possibilities but at the same time it renders the device un-pocket able. Other impressive features include a powerful 8MP front rear facing camera as well as a 2MP front facing camera. Good news for the US consumers that fancy of this device is that its just going to be released to AT&T. Even better that talented Android developers have already managed to root the device even before the release! Here is a guide on how to root your At&T version of Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717. We posted earlier a guide for rooting the international version of this device here.
Note: Rooting, Jailbreaking or customizing your device can be risky, and you may end-up bricking your device! Follow the instructions posted here at your own responsibility as Inspired Geek will not be responsible for any damage to your device.
- Download the ODIN 1.85 and then extract the .zip file.
- Download Pre-rooted kernel for PDA.
- If you do not have Samsung’s KIES 2.0 installed, download and install it. Correct USB drivers must be installed, so that programs can communicate with the device. Reboot computer after KIES installation.
Procedure: Root Samsung Galaxy Note
Step 1: Make sure that your device is in USB debugging mode: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
Step 2: Reboot your device into download mode. To do so: Turn the device off, then power it on by holding Volume-Down then powering it on simultaneously. Then there will be a screen asking to press Vol-Up to put the device in to Download mode.
Step 3: Start ODIN.
Step 4: Connect the device to your computer using USB.
Step 5: Wait a few seconds, the ODIN screen will show that a device is now connected
- Make sure that in ODIN nothing is checked, except the "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time"checkboxes.
- Press the "PDA" button, and select the pre-rooted PDA kernel file that you downloaded above.
- Press "Start". ODIN will now flash the pre-rooted kernel, and the device should reboot afterwards.
Step 6: After the device reboots in the OS then from Android Market search for the SuperUser and install it.
If you follow all the above steps correctly then your AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy Note will be rooted. Please note that the above mentioned procedure will increment the custom flash counter on your device. Which is not a big issue for most users but its believed this it is used by Samsung for the warranty purposes.
For more details on this this rooting procedure, discussions and future updates please follow the XDA thread linked below.
You Might Like:
Get Free Email Updates
Inspired Geek is your primary source for latest tech news, guides and articles on Windows software, games, Apple and Android devices.
- Get extensive coverage on latest tech news.
- Exclusive guides on rooting, jailbreaking and unlocking mobile devices.
- Useful apps and tips&tricks for your iOS and Android devices.
- Exlclusive Top Countdowns for the best software.